Thursday, November 12, 2009

Babies born November 6, 2009

So I have been a little busy, as you all can imagine, and haven't had time to post. Charlize Sophia and Liliana Helen were born on November 6th at 1:26 pm and 1:28 pm. Charli weighed 5 lbs 4 ozs and was 18 1/4 inches and Lili weighed 5 lbs and was 19 inches. They were born at 33 weeks 6 days and are doing well.
The day started out with an amnio at 8:30 am....didn't hurt as bad as I had imagined. We got the results at about 10. Mature lungs are a 55, the gray area is the 30's and 40's (I think). The test came back at 34. Needless to say, not the number we had hoped for. The doctor said that it was our decision and we had already said that we were going to go through with the csection if they were in the gray area, so he was ok to deliver. I was very upset and didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be making the wrong decision. I knew I couldn't take another week in the hospital with the stress of wondering if the babies were ok, but I didn't know if taking them out was right. He assured us that our decision was going to be the right one no matter what but that he had to tell us the good, bad and ugly and that they could possibly be on a ventilator but the chances were small....and that basically the risks of keeping them and taking them out were pretty equal. So after much anguish, we decided to go through with the csection because we would rather have them in the NICU where they can be helped if necessary.
So the csection was at 1 and they were both here by 1:30. What a different experience than Barrett's birth!! Louis and I walked back to the OR, were able to get a cute pic of us before hand and I remembered everything. Right after birth we were told they were doing well and didn't need any oxygen!! What FANTASTIC news!!! I DID make the right decision after all.
After delivering the babies and getting my tubes tied...oh yeah, that's right, no more stressful pregnancies for me! 10 weeks in the hospital was enough :). Louis spent time with me in recovery, there was a surgery going on in the NICU so he couldn't get in until that was done. Once he could get in, he went to check the babies and all was going well. I finally got down to see them at 8pm that evening. They are BEAUTIFUL and look SO much like Barrett did as a baby it's crazy!! They spent 4 days in the NICU before being moved to the graduate NICU. They were under photo therapy lights for jaundice (which is very common in preemies), had IV's for fluids and feeding tubes. They started eating from a bottle on day 2, but get tube fed every other feed to be sure they get all of the necessary nourishment and they get tired out easily...eating is a chore! They are in isolettes to control their body temps but are very close to getting out of those. IV's were taken out on Tuesday. Other than learning how to eat everything is going great....for Charli that is. The nurse today said Charli is doing better than most babies at her gestational age. Lili on the other hand has been having bradys. Bradys are basically when the babies heart rate drops below 80. An alarm goes off alerting the nurse. The reason they happen is that she just forgets to breath. Apparently these are very common with premature babies...but still is very worrisome to me. She had one when we were there today while I was holding her. It was the longest one she has had and totally freaked me out. I sat there balling while the nurse was coaching me on what to do when they happen. She has about 5 or so a day and is something she should grow out of in the next week or 2. They did test for infection and that came back clear. If they continue the doc is considering putting her on caffeine to help keep her stimulated.
With my hormones crashing and Lili's bradys, today has been an emotional day. Being home without my little angels is tough. I am trying to stay positive and know that I am blessed they are doing so well.....but I think I also need to let my guard down for a minute and have a good cry about it. It's been a long road and I can't wait until they are home with us. I think Charli will come home first and hopefully Lili will be right behind. She has to be brady free for 5 days before coming home...so keep her in your prayers. I will post pics once I have a minute to go through the office ( which looks like a bomb went off in) and look for the cord to download them on to the computer. Hopefully I will find that time tomorrow.
So for now, that is my news. I will keep you posted on their progress! Thanks as always.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Em, I am right there with you! I understand what its like to look at your baby and have a good cry! I think I cried the first 2 weeks of Lo's life! THey are going to be fine! Keeping all of you in our prayers! We love you!
    Jess, John and Lo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Those girls will be home before you know it! I'll keep them in my prayers. Can't wait to see pictures. Kathy Milnes

    ReplyDelete